Amidst continued growth and ongoing investment in NPD, they are seeking an experienced manager with a strong technical background to lead a team of 10+ Mechanical Design Engineers within their R&D department.
Working closely with the senior leadership team across the business you will lead your team to bring to market next-generation technology on a high variety basis, integrating your activity with the wider group. This will include contributing to engineering strategy, encouraging process improvements and upskilling your team in areas such as DVP.
Your core responsibilities will include:
Current Product Design
- Support VA/VE activities ensuring the continued competitiveness of the product
- Research and analyse emerging technologies that may be applicable to our field
- Engineer new variants to enhance the current product portfolio
- Ensure designs meet all legislative requirements
- Support production with first build trials and prototypes
- Minimise downtime in production by responding to build issues quickly and helping to find a solution
- Drive design-for-manufacture and a right first-time mentality within your team.
- Manage, mentor and develop a motivated team
- Analyse and identify skills required within the team and ensure these requirements are met through the ongoing development of the existing team and recruitment activities
- Support in setting department and project budgets and manage costs in line with approved budgets
- Plan, estimate and ensure the required resource is available to deliver projects and engineering tasks to cost, quality and delivery deadline requirements
- Use regular reviews and team meetings to drive continuous improvement within your team and to communicate department goals and objectives
- Identify and plan engineering resources including external resource and resource from other group companies as required
- Lead key projects in line with company NPD processes ensuring key milestones and phase gates are achieved.
- Identify and manage project risk implementing corrective action where required
To fulfill this vacancy the client is seeking a proven manager with a strong technical background – ideally degree educated. Experience bringing to market large fabricated machinery or similar technology is also required; examples include material handling equipment, agricultural machinery, yellow goods, heavy fabrications, lifting machinery etc.
They would like a passionate leader with a good track record of driving process improvements and contributing to continuous improvement activities. The proven ability to upskill your team in areas such as FMEA or DVP is also desirable.
In return, they are offering a competitive salary and a varied technical leadership role with a multi-national company that continues to grow and invests in its engineering capability.
To apply for this role please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org